EMSL Analytical, Inc.
Purchase Kit Now!
Contact Us
200 Route 130 North
Cinnaminson, NJ 08077


Radon Testing Lab
Real Estate Homeowners Schools and Large Buildings

Radon Analysis for Real Estate Transactions

[ Home Buyers ] [ Home Sellers ]

For Home Sellers:

If you are selling your house there are some things you need to do prior to selling the house. Houses fall into two categories, homes that have been previously tested and homes that have not been tested.

    A. If you are thinking of selling your home and it has already been tested for radon, review the EPA Radon Testing Checklist to make sure that the test was performed correctly. If so, then provide your results to the buyer.

    No matter what kind of test was done, a potential buyer may request for a new test to be performed, especially if:

    • The EPA Radon Testing Checklist items were not met;
    • The last test was not recent, e.g., within two years;
    • You have renovated or altered the home since you last tested; or
    • The buyer plans to live in a lower level of the house than was previously tested, such as a basement suitable for occupancy but not currently lived in.

    A buyer may also ask for a new test if your state or local government requires disclosure of radon information to buyers.

    B. If you are thinking of selling your home and it has NOT already been tested for radon, have a test performed as soon as possible. If you can, test your home before putting it on the market. You should test in the lowest level of the home which is suitable for occupancy. This means testing in the lowest level that you currently live in or a lower level not currently used, but which a buyer could use for living space without renovations.

    The radon test result is important information about your home's radon level. Some states require radon measurement testers to follow a specific testing protocol. If you do the test yourself, you should carefully follow the testing protocol for your area or EPA's Radon Testing Checklist. If you hire a contractor to test your residence, protect yourself by hiring a qualified individual or company.

    You can determine a service provider's qualifications to perform radon measurements or to mitigate your home in several ways. Check with your state radon office. Many states require radon professionals to be licensed, certified, or registered. Most states can provide you with a list of knowledgeable radon service providers doing business in the state. In states that don't regulate radon services, ask the contractor if they hold a professional proficiency or certification credential. Such programs usually provide members with a photo-ID card, which indicates their qualification(s) and its expiration date. If in doubt, you should check with their credentialing organization. Alternatively, ask the contractor if they've successfully completed formal training appropriate for testing or mitigation, e.g., a course in radon measurement or radon mitigation.

2011 EMSL Analytical, Inc.